WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- 1 Roll 400g Deeghuys puff pastry
- 15ml sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 250g bacon, diced
- 125g mushrooms, sliced
- 600g cooked chicken meat
- 250ml chicken stock
- 125ml white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10ml Maizena
- 30ml milk
- 3 eggs, boiled (optional)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Thaw Deeghuys Puff Pastry for 20 minutes
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Add oil and fry onion and garlic in a big frying pan, add bacon and mushrooms, stirring frequently until cooked.
- Add shredded chicken stock, white wine, bay leaf and cloves. Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix milk and maizena to make a paste, and add to chicken mixture.
- Stir until the mixture thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat and let it cool.
- Roll out the Deeghuys Puff Pastry and cut in half. Use one half to line a 30cm oven dish. Fill dish with chicken filling. Cut boiled eggs and place eggs on top of the filling.
- Cover dish with the second half of the dough and press side with a fork. Trim the sides neatly.
- Brush with the egg wash and prick on top with a fork to make sure that the steam can escape the pie.
- Bake pie for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with rice or salad
This traditional chicken pie can be made in advance and frozen for a later occasion. To make baking convenient is a priority for us.